Last updated 20030201 by
[Another personal note-pad for raw thinking-out-loud and
preservation of raw ideas.]
- Untapped silent latent-membership and latent-activists --
how do we find/reach them and support their immediate needs?
A "Consumer Reports" of local activist
- Precludes consensus development?
- Frightened edgy market
- Privacy foremost
- Must support thorough browsing without self-exposure
- Stop underestimating browsing prospects; expose what they
want to know:
- budgets and budgetary allocations
- membership size (verifiable, distribution list size or some such)
- prioritized issues
- political flavor
- religious flavor
- socioeconomic flavor
- activities and accomplishments
- meeting places and property
- officers (and staff if appl.) contact info
- dues or fees
- link to calendar of events
- link to home page
- Group Collaboration Support
- United Way Style Fundraising and Marketing Strategies
- Techno-aversion Palliatives
- Complex Document Development
- Group Voice and Telephony Communication Strategies
- Optimizing Interactive IP
- Fac/staff group developing letters
to the editor.
- Sophisticated group with detail concerns.
Linear shared email thread with asynchronous submission of detail criticisms
and specific suggestions for revision are not satisfactory. The user
is forced to construct and maintain complex detailed concept maps with
high-volume nodes over periods of days in short term memory.
- Asynchronous multi-topic multi-level iterative
- Solution Set
- Features: A GNU tool
for Linux platforms. Richly developed, recent graphic drawing tool
addition. Web based no-client design with rich inerface, although
design is further along than operating functional content.
- Follow-up: Cost
to implement and support admin ramp-up. Alternative suggestions from
Hank, Jeff, others?
Reliability/stability. Manageability. Security.
- Managing Discussion Lists
- BuffaloPeacePeople - 2002/2003
- Service Provider: Colleague, DBA,
cost-offset for DBA business use, Linux box w/ IMAP, Mailman listserv,
Apache Web, ACL's on Web pages/files, Web Email, generous and flexible usage
- Mailman: No names associated with email addresses
is a major functional deficiency.
- Group Formation and Flux
- Reed/Metcalf gains from group support suggest high ROI
- Since lists need to be maintained somewhere(?), it would be nice to do
so in one place only.
- Need support for self-vetting of group membership
self-authentication and functional corollaries
What tools exist now? Need to authorize access to
authenticated groups. Group is authenticated by its members - possibly
on-demand by any member or member's agent. Group authentication
challenges are presented to the group and an authentication token that
includes current authorizations in included. To save time, the
most recent time-stamped self-authentication token is publicly exposed.
Either the authenticable group ID or the desired group authentication token
(or pointers/links) can be embedded in documents and files to control access
A single group self-authentication mechanism could govern access to
virtually all resources without compromising privacy concerns?
When presented with a challenge:
- challenges from group only
- review last token and apply additions/deletions
- submit token with revisions to challenger
- maybe to entire group
- Variations on
noisy channel themes?
Groups maintain continuous-random-fill full-duplex channels that support a
functional token ring without the latency of a logical ring. A
branching/collapsing tree connection topology, maybe. Multicast
branching nodes. Data stream could be multiplexed across many
simultaneous multicast steams in synchronized random subsets of available